Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Legs for Literacy 2012

In my last post I questioned whether I would be able to complete my 5th half marathon this year.
Yesterday, I did.

Sunday, October 21 marked my third Legs for Literacy event.
I woke early, as planned, and enjoyed my shower, coffee, and regular pre-race rituals. My stomach was in knots and I spent more time in the little girls' room than I would have liked. However, 7am arrived and off I went to the start. On the way over, I remarked that I wasn't feeling particularly confident about the race but my supportive beau said "Well, you know you're not going to win so you may as well just enjoy it."  

Perspective


He was right. I will never win a road race (unless I outlive all my competitors and manage to take an age category in a few decades!).  But I can enjoy them!

Although I had originally trained in the 2h15m group, my lackadaisical stance on training since Scotland meant that I had been doing any recent training (read: very little training) at the 2h30 pace group.  I decided that I would try to follow the 2:30 pace bunny and if I couldn't keep up, I would just finish well, whenever.

I got to the start and lined up with the 2:30 group.  I took one look around and almost defeated myself - determining then and there that I would be lucky to finish in 2:45

The gun sounded and off we went.  It seemed a lot faster than what I had trained for...and harder.  Now, I could talk about the fact that I've had bronchitis for almost 1 month, and little sleep over the last 10 days due to my daughter's cellulitis but the truth is, I was just having an off day. 

I ran the first 3 or 4 k with the group but then nature called (whoops, guess I should have taken an entire immodium instead of 1/2) and I took my first potty break. By the time I hit the 11k mark, I was hurting and walked the next 3k.  I was certain that I wouldn't match my Scotland time, never mind beat it.

As I rounded up to the Gunningsville Bridge, I heard a car honking and looked up to see my boyfriend, my mom, and my daughter (waving wildly from her carseat). I caught a fresh wind, straightened up and took off.  I was still struggling but now I had motivation...they were on their way to the finish line and I still had a little over 7k to go.

I ran the next 2 k with the thought that although I might not PR, I would have my favourite people at the finish line. Just as I finished a walk break, I looked up to see them again - this time at the 16 k mark on the trail - they had driven over, parked and walked down to the trail to cheer me on.  I could feel the tears and energy as I got a huge hug from my 3yr old.  I shouted - "I have 5 k left. I'll see you soon. Watch for Roxanne!" (Roxanne is my BRF and was somewhere behind me on the trail).

As I reached the next water station, I felt my heart soar - it was the Moncton Running Room water station - filled with people I knew.  There were my first two running coaches, our store manager, and new runners in the Learn-to-Run and 5k clinic I am currently teaching.  It was inspiring. 

A quick drink and off again.

I started picking off runners - girl in purple shirt, just catch her then pass her.  Man in black and red. Girl with neon orange bra straps. Hot pink running shoes. 

One by one I passed them. 

As I hit the final turn around point on the trail, I felt the old familiar 18 k ache - what is it about that number that hits me so hard?  It seems that I always flag at that point. I pushed on.

As I neared the RR water station the 2nd time, I stole a glance at my Garmin and realized that it read 2:24...I was 1.25 k away from the finish.  I could do this.  I could actually PR.  Not could. I was going to PR - unless something drastic happened to cause me to run 1.25km in 14 minutes, I was going to beat my best time.  

The tears started. I pushed. 

I ran up Mechanic Street where I would make the turn onto Main Street for the last 100m

Before I made the turn, I stopped. Bent over, took a deep breath and shook my head.  

Turn.

Crowds!  Music!  Familiar faces!

Now RUN!

And I did.

I crossed the finish with a chip time of 2:32:34 and Gun time of 2:34:16

5th and best half marathon - complete.

And I NEVER said Can't.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your viewpoint. I love to hear ALL views but any that are deemed disrespectful, harassing, or offensive will not be posted.